Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Giving Thanks, Day 6


I voted today! Did you?

Today I'm grateful for 2 reasons. 

1) I have the right to vote and let my voice be heard concerning who I want governing me and how I feel about certain issues. How many people in this world don't have that right? An astounding number. But in this great nation, we DO have that right. And we have that responsibility. I feel it is everyone's responsibility to vote as soon as they are of age, and it really bothers me that some people either don't bother to register, or don't bother to go to the polls. And then they complain about the results of the election. If you didn't take part in the election, then don't complain. You had your chance to voice your opinion, and you chose not to exercise your right to vote.

2) I have the opportunity to turn Election Day into a teaching moment for my kids. Brett and I decided to go together today and take the kids with us. I want Amy and David to grow up going to the polls. I want that to be normal and expected of them. I remember going to the polls with my parents, not every time, but enough that it made an impression. I want them to see Brett and me voting, and I want to be able to stand in line, like I did today, and explain to Amy why it is so important that we go vote. I want to raise children who are conscious of their civic duty and take pride in it. I'm thankful for the opportunity to model responsible behavior for them.

How grateful I am to live in a country where my voice is heard, where I can express my opinions without fear of retaliation, and where I have a say in my own government!

No comments:

Post a Comment