Monday, November 5, 2012

Giving Thanks, Day 5

Remember, remember!
The fifth of November,
The Gunpowder treason and plot;
I know of no reason
Why the Gunpowder treason
Should ever be forgot!

In 1605, Guy Fawkes and 12 other men attempted to blow up the House of Lords in the hopes of beginning a revolution that would lead to greater religious tolerance for themselves and the rest of the Catholics living in Protestant England/Scotland.

Today, I am so grateful for the many freedoms we enjoy in the United States, but most especially religious freedom. As a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, I belong to a religion that is not particularly well-liked nor understood. My faith is such a huge part of my life and affects so many aspects of it. My religious beliefs are extremely important to me. I don't expect others to share them, but I do demand from others the same respect that I show toward other religious beliefs.

I am so thankful for the freedom I have to practice the beliefs I hold. My knowledge of the gospel of Jesus Christ and his sacrifice for me have changed not only the way I live, but who I am. I am also grateful that others have the privilege to live according to their beliefs, whatever they may be. How blessed we are to live in a country that protects our religious freedom!

No comments:

Post a Comment