Saturday, November 17, 2012

Giving Thanks, Day 17


Nine years ago, my sister Heather was in a horrific car accident that left her paralyzed from the neck down. At the time, in my completely selfish, bratty, obnoxious mindset, I was angry and felt inconvenienced. (I am so sorry, Heather and Mom. You both deserved far better than I gave you back then.) Fortunately, I've done so much growing up since then.

Today I am especially grateful for Heather. I am grateful that she survived, and even more so, that she LIVES, each and every day. I am grateful that she chooses to find joy in her life. I am grateful that she is a strong, courageous, beautiful woman. I am grateful that she gave me the opportunity to really learn to love her by serving her. I am grateful for my friendship with her. I am grateful for the incredible example she is to me, every single day. I'm also grateful that we live fairly close, so that my children can grow up with such a strong example of courage and integrity.

Once again, I am indescribably grateful for the eternal nature of the family. I am so thankful that I had the opportunity to be sealed to my parents for eternity. I am grateful that, so long as I remain true to the covenants I have made with my Heavenly Father, I will be with my family forever. I'm so thankful that Heather is a part of my family.

1 comment: