Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Giving Thanks, Day 27

Yesterday I was grateful for Amy.

Today I'm grateful for my son. What a sweet boy David is!

David was a little unexpected. Not entirely. We'd planned to start trying soon anyway, but I figured it would take a while, like it did with Amy, and that I would need medication (like the doctor had TOLD me) when I wanted to conceive again. I thought maybe we'd be pregnant by December...not be having a baby! So, he was earlier than I expected him to be, but not any less wanted!

David started teaching me from the moment I found out I was pregnant. I have learned so much more about trusting the Lord's timing, even more than I learned from waiting for Amy. I learned more humility (try not to die of shock, Mom). I learned that sometimes, I really do need to ask for help. I learned that it's okay to ask, that it doesn't mean I am weak or incompetent. Since I was on bedrest for a month with a young child, I didn't really have much of a choice. I was severely depressed. I had to be medicated for the first time in my life, and I saw a therapist weekly. It was, quite honestly, horrific. And it taught me to rely on the Lord.

Giving birth to David without medication, I learned more about my body. I learned that despite how I may feel about my looks, my scars, my cankles, my stretch marks, or any of the other plethora of things I can nitpick about the way my body looks, that I am powerful. I am a powerful woman. I am determined. And I can do hard things when I put my mind to it. Amazing things.

David is so different from Amy in so many respects. He definitely wants to go places! But he has a more laid back personality, which is good, because I really don't know how I would maintain what's left of my sanity if I had 2 kids like Amy running around right now. He loves his big sister. He wants to be like her, and he trails around after her like a little puppy...when she's not chasing him. :) He learns quickly and seems to be ready to be a big boy already! (Which I have strictly forbidden. He doesn't seem to be listening.) He's already walking quite well, almost exclusively.

He is quick to smile and to laugh. I love his giggle. It is just infectious. Often, when we're in the car, I'll hear David start laughing, probably because Amy makes faces at him. He starts to laugh, which makes Amy laugh, which makes him laugh even more, which then makes me laugh, which makes both of them laugh harder. It makes for some seriously fun car rides!

He loves to play. He doesn't particularly care with what--just give him something to hold, and he will find a way to be fascinated by it. He eats like he won't get another meal. He is so deliciously chubby! I love it.

I am so grateful for this sweet little man, and for the privilege of being his mama.

No comments:

Post a Comment