Friday, November 4, 2011

Since I'm stuck here anyway....

In my last post I wrote about depression, one of the things I've been dealing with lately. I honestly wish that were it. But of course, once I started getting my depression under control and was actually feeling better, something else goes wrong. Isn't that the way it usually works? *sigh* I'm really trying not to be too negative about this whole thing, but it's really difficult.

I had an OB appointment on Tuesday, where they discovered my blood pressure was high (150/90something) and there was protein in my urine (which is BAD). High blood pressure and protein in the urine are indicative of pre-eclampsia and related disorders, none of which are good. The doctor put me on modified bed rest until we figured out what was going on.

So after my regular appointment they sent me up to the Women's Evaluation Unit (WEU) to be monitored. It's right around the corner from L&D. I was on the WEU for about 2 hours. They took my blood pressure every 15 minutes, took another urine sample, and drew blood.

Confusingly, my blood pressure was normal and all my labs came back normal as well. So, we really didn't know what was going on. To help figure things out, I had to do a 24-hour urine collection (ew). Nothing like having a big jug of pee in your fridge, right? ;) We took the collection to the lab Wednesday afternoon once my 24 hours had expired, and were told we could call my OB's office for results in the morning. Great.

Thursday morning I called and the doctor wasn't in yet. (I hate that.) I was told to call back later in the afternoon, which was fine. Even though I wasn't able to help with Heather, I was going down to Mom's to hang out on the couch (with the added bonuses of Mom doing my laundry and making delicious dinner for my family). Technically I was discouraged from driving, but the midwife on the WEU had said I could go to Mom's. I liked her answer better, so that's what I did!

Just before leaving to drive to Mom's, the doctor's office called me back. (Which isn't good when they've told you to call them.) My OB's assistant explained to me that my test results were back. The normal range for protein in the urine is 0-0.15. My levels were at 0.52, more than triple what they should have been. That meant that I was officially being diagnosed with pre-eclampsia.

So now I'm on modified bed rest until I deliver. Yippee. Now, I have no problem lounging on the couch when I'm sick. But I don't FEEL sick. I feel fine, and I just started nesting a couple days ago, so I really WANT to be running around doing stuff. But I can't. I'm allowed to go to the bathroom, to shower, and to take care of Amy (although I'm supposed to really take it easy with her). I'm not supposed to be on my feet for more than a couple of minutes. I have to monitor my blood pressure throughout the day. And I will likely be induced somewhere around 36 weeks. Which is in about 2 1/2 weeks, the week of Thanksgiving.

I'm trying really hard not to freak out. I was completely unprepared for this. I'm really grateful that I have so many people willing to help us. The Relief Society (the women's organization at church) is especially helpful, and I know I can rely on them. It's tough because I hate asking for help, but this is one time when I really do need it. Mom and my friends are also great sources of help. I'm just so blessed to have so many people who care about me and are willing to sacrifice their time to help me out.

1 comment:

  1. Ug! I'm so sorry to hear about this latest development. We'll keep you in our thoughts and prayers. Just think, there are people who fantasize about laying around all day and you get to do it. (Little do they know that it's not quite the treat they imagine, right?) Gary used to make fun of me because I'd play "fetch" with Sam. I'd throw the ball and he'd bring it back to me when he was Amy's age and I had to sit down with Grace. :-) Keep us posted (no blog-post pun intended).