Thursday, December 6, 2012

Clarification, because, whoa, are things getting out of hand.

All right. Time to take a step back.

I've been pulled into a religious debate that I really don't want to be a part of.

My decision to support marriage equality is a legal, political decision. It is not a religious decision. I am not demanding or expecting the LDS church to change its stance.

The US is not a theocracy. Its laws, and the laws of the states, are not determined and should not be determined by religion.

According to US law, according to the Constitution, all people are equal under the law, with no discrimination.

And to me, this includes discrimination based on sexual orientation.

So yes, I support all people being equal before the law. I support same-gender couples having equal rights before the law.

And yes, I separate that from my religious beliefs.

No comments:

Post a Comment