Friday, September 14, 2012

Oh, my....yummy.

So, I've been trying to branch out a little in my cooking lately. Not, like, crazy branch out. More like, let's try some things I haven't made before. So we've been having some fun in the kitchen lately.

In addition to my peach cobbler that made me think I'd died and gone to heaven, I made a really yummy dinner the other night. Homemade fried catfish and hushpuppies. Yum! I like catfish, and it was on sale, so Brett bought some. And now I'll let you in on a little secret.

I adore hushpuppies.

Like, I REALLY adore hushpuppies. I could easily eat them once or twice a week. They're completely unglamorous. They're simple. They're just...fried batter. But, oh my goodness, are they delicious.

I've found that with the foods I really like, I am INCREDIBLY picky. Like with my cobbler. So, I'm also really picky about my hushpuppies. I like them a little on the sweet side, and I've found that a lot of hushpuppies aren't sweet, and honestly don't taste like much of anything. So, I used this recipe as a base and adjusted it slightly by added a bit more dried minced onion, and adjusting the sugar to 1 TBSP instead of 1 1/2 tsp.

They were PERFECT. And remarkably easy. And I want more.

The catfish was pretty good. It was better when Brett sprinkled some more Tony's on top, so next time I'll add more spices to the flour dredge.



Definitely drool-worthy. Yum.

No comments:

Post a Comment