Saturday, April 16, 2011

Survivor

Something that was said at the Women's Conference today made me so happy. Well, a lot of things did, but more about that in another post.

I was fortunate enough to be the first to stand up when Stephanie opened a Q&A after speaking. That alone made me happy, because I had really wanted to be first. I didn't have a question, but I wanted to tell her how proud I was of her! She is such an amazing person. Again, more about that in another post.

I introduced myself by name, and said "I am also a burn survivor," and went on from there. After I made my comment, Stephanie responded and made me laugh. And then she pointed out that we ARE survivors, not victims.

I was so glad she said that! It's a distinction I ALWAYS make when I'm talking with someone about my injuries. I am absolutely not a victim. From my point of view, victims are either A) people who die, or B) people who CHOOSE to have that mentality. It doesn't matter what your injury is, or what you endured.

I refuse to be a victim. I never have been. Not only am I a survivor, but I have thrived! My life isn't perfect, but it is fully of joy and love and laughter, because I CHOOSE to be a survivor.

No comments:

Post a Comment