Tuesday, November 16, 2010

My new calling

For the past year or so, I've been a ward missionary. I didn't particularly enjoy the calling for various reasons, and I finally was released and extended a different calling a few weeks ago.

I'm actually pretty excited about it, although it is a little daunting as well. I'm the new ward choir director. (And if Miriam is reading this, she's probably either laughing or wondering why in the world I was asked to do it! I understand!)

The reason I was called was...well, I sort of accidentally volunteered. I'm good friends with the ward music chairperson. She and I served in the Young Women's presidency, and now she is my visiting teacher. So we've known each other since Brett and I moved into the Maryland Heights area. We were just chatting one afternoon, and she mentioned that our (then current) choir director was moving soon, and she was afraid they were going to ask her to take over. She doesn't have any choir experience nor the personality to direct a choir (according to her). I told her if that was the case, that I'd be more than willing to help her out.....hence my being asked to do it. :)

We had our first rehearsal on Sunday to get ready for the Christmas program. We're singing 'Far, Far Away on Judea's Plains', which is actually one of my favorite Christmas songs. Practice went really well! I guess I shouldn't be terribly surprised, but...I kind of am. Nearly all the choir members are older than I (most of them considerably so), and I have to admit I was a little nervous that they would be, I don't know, a little unwilling to take directions and constructive criticism from some young little twit. Apparently, I was quite wrong. Everyone was great, and the song is already shaping up to sound fabulous.

I'm really looking forward to working with them. We're planning on singing a musical number as a choir every other month, so I've got my work cut out for me!

No comments:

Post a Comment