Wednesday, January 2, 2013

David's Birthday Party

Brett and I decided that we wanted to do a luau for David's first birthday. Brett served a mission for our church in Hawaii, so he lived there for 2 years. In Hawaii, it's tradition to throw a (huge) luau for your child's first birthday, especially if it's a son. This comes from the old days, when it was quite an accomplishment to reach the 1-year mark, and meant you were pretty likely to survive to adulthood.

So, yeah. I was cool with it. It meant eating Polynesian food, which I dearly love, so I wasn't going to turn it down!

The "spread": Under the foil is kalua pig. Clockwise from there: potato salad, lomi lomi salmon, haupia, and macaroni salad. We also had Aloha Maids to drink (yum).


David's birthday cake, which reads "Happy birthday David" in Hawaiian.


The cake I made for my family's celebration. That would be a plumeria on top, which Brett greatly assisted with.


Admittedly, I didn't get many action shots, mainly because our camera died and so I have to rely on my cell phone. (Thank goodness I've got a smartphone now with a decent camera.)

We had a blast, though, and enjoyed celebrating with family and friends! I'm so grateful this little man is part of our family!

No comments:

Post a Comment