Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Sweet! (ish)

So, obviously, we're back from our trip. We got back in the wee hours of the morning Monday (after which I worked a 12-hour shift...yikes). It was really, really fun. Lunch with Scott and Jenee was actually really a blast. They're both fun people, and after the first few minutes, it really wasn't awkward at all (like I was afraid it would be). We ate at Olive Garden, yum, and had a lot of fun talking.

The Blues hockey game was awesome! We went with a couple people from the ward (one of whom is a Wild fan, the team we were playing, which made it interesting!). The game was really exciting, lots of action, including a good fight, which I didn't expect to see because the Blues aren't usually quite that feisty. But it was really fun. We ended up winning 3-1. Ha ha, Minnesota. :D

The drive up to Ohio wasn't bad, plus Brett and I really like road trips. We just talk and play guessing games with the iPod (which Brett always kicks my trash on because I have a really hard time remembering song titles and the like), but it's fun just to be together. We got to Ohio at 5am local time, which was not so much fun. We slept for a few hours and then left for Pittsburgh around noonish or so with Brett's parents.

Holy cow, is Pittsburgh a cool city or what? Granted, I didn't get to see a whole lot of it because we weren't there for very long, but I really liked what I saw. We did manage to go up the Duquesne (sp?) Incline, which was really fun. The downtown area actually reminded me a lot of downtown St. Louis, which helped me understand Brett's comment about St. Louis being an East-coast town. Yeah. It really kinda is.

So then we went to the Pens game. I'm really glad I got to see the Igloo, although I now totally understand why they're building a new arena. The Igloo is so old! And, for Chandra's benefit, I have to say that the bathroom was repulsive. You don't even want to know the details. Nasty. Alas, the Penguins lost the game against the New Jersey Devils, which was really a bummer, but we still had so much fun. Dad didn't actually go to the game with us, so it was just Brett and his mom and me. We really did have a blast at the game.

After the game we were on the way out to the car and this group of older women (they were totally cougars, and totally drunk) tried to stop Barbara, who was on the phone, to take their picture. She waved them off, but they managed to snatch Brett. He took a few pictures for them, and then (with me standing right there) one of them totally hit on him! She asked for his name (he only gave her his first name), then told him to look her up on facebook and call her! I stepped up (naturally) and said "Hi, I'm his wife!" with a very polite smile on my face. We started walking away and I could hear her mumble some comment, but unfortunately (or perhaps fortunately?) I didn't actually hear what she said. I probably would've gone back and gotten feisty with her.

Speaking of feisty, I thought this was hilarious. We were on the Dusquesne Incline, which is basically a sort of trolley car that goes up and down some tracks up the side of this ridiculously big "hill" in Pittsburgh. It's really old, and really cool. So the four of us were on the Incline, wearing our Go Pens stuff, and there were some Vikings fans in the car with us (the Steelers played the Vikings on Sunday). Barbara totally started stuff with the Vikings fans! I don't really remember what all was said, and it was in good fun, nobody was actually getting mad or anything, but there were some good-natured taunts being thrown around. It was awesome! My mother-in-law is one feisty woman.

So after the game we drove back to Ohio, spent the night (or rather, what was left of it), and just sort of hung out the next day. We went to leave that evening, and what do you know? Our headlights stopped working. We stopped by Autozone and got one of them functioning, so we drove home with one headlight (which for some reason always makes me think of that song). At any rate, we got home safely, and all is back to normal, or at least as close to normal as we get! It really was an amazing weekend!

3 comments:

  1. Your whirlwind trip to Pittsburgh is about as much time as my trip there. We drove from Kansas to Pittsburgh and back in a regular weekend (picking Brett up in St. Louis) for great grandma M's funeral a few years back. I was so tired and seriously a zombie while we were there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. U met ur biological father? Wow! That's great, Laura. :) How in the world did you find him?

    -Kay

    ReplyDelete
  3. He found me, actually, over the internet. Pretty surprising, but a good surprise in the end.

    ReplyDelete